St Peter's Church

Home MI search | Baptism search | Burial search | Record list | WFFHS

 

 

St Peter's Church

Kelly's Essex Directory, 1908: "The church of St. Peter, situated in Woodford New Road, is a plain edifice of brick, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave and a tower on the south side, containing one bell: there are 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1844. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £193, with residence, in the gift of T.C.T. Warner esq. M.P. and held since 1899 by the Rev. Theodore John Parks, of Trinity College, Dublin.

St Peter's church is set in a churchyard of about an acre in size. The main gate is in Woodford New Road with a path leading around to the entrance at the west end. There are two other gates into the forest which surrounds the church, one onto St Peter's Path which goes to the junction of Forest Rise and Upper Walthamstow Road. The church is on a traditional east-west axis and has a light feel inside due to tall windows making up most of one side and windows high up on the others.

Records
Baptism and Burial registers have been transcribed for this church up to the 1920s and 1940s respectively. Monumental Inscriptions have also been transcribed along with a short run of marriage registers. These records are being made available to search on this site. Currently on-line:
Baptisms 1844 - 1925
Burials 1845 - 1949
MIs - all readable up to 1980s
Marriages 1844 - 1851, 1939 - 1942
The 3rd baptism register has several sequences of entries for baptisms which took place at All Saints, Highams Park (Selwyn Avenue) between 1907 and 1912. The entries in the St Peter's register appear to be for baptisms which took place at the Selwyn Avenue church before its own parish was created.

The Churchyard
For recording purposes, the churchyard is divided into five areas, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green and Orange but the grave numbers are independent of these. There is also a memorial garden.

Churchyard
                Layout

The Red area, on the west side of the grave yard contains graves 1 to 283, approximately the first six rows.
The Yellow area contains graves 284 to 621, approximately the next nine rows.
The Blue area, on the east side of the grave yard, contains grave numbers 622 to 925, the last five to nine rows.
The Green area, on the south west corner of the grave yard, by the garden of remembrance, contains graves 926 to 1008.
The Orange area, on the south east corner of the grave yard, near the main entrance, contains graves 1009 to 1092.
The grave numbers referred to in the monumental inscription database are those used in the plan on this page.




 


  Name on
                gate

St Peter's from the north east

St Peters from the east

St Peter's from the north

St Peter's from the west

Home MI search | Baptism search | Burial search | Record list | WFFHS