St Thomas, Upshire

Home MI search | Baptism search | Burial search | Record list | WFFHS

 

 

St Thomas, Upshire

Kelly's Essex Directory, 1937: "UPSHIRE is a hamlet 2½ miles east [of Waltham Abbey], on the borders of Epping Forest."
The directory also mentions two obelisks tradition associated with Queen Boadicea and lists the church of St Thomas as having both a vicar and a curate. These days Upshire is close to Warlies Park and the M25, but mostly not overlooked by it. Like most of Upshire the church of St Thomas is on Horseshoe Hill and there are pleasant views from the graveyard.

St Thomas was designed by architects Freeman & Ogilvy for Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton. A stone by the door in the north wall says "On Saint Thomas day MDCCCCI this stone was laid by Lady Victoria Buxton". The family graves can be found on the south side of the church. Services had previously been held in the school at nearby Copped Hall Green from about 1870. The Buxtons were an evangelical family and Sir Thomas stipulated that the church be run as a missionary chapel. [See source]


St Thomas Churchyard

Church web site
British History entry on Waltham Abbey churches
Church address:          Horseshoe Hill, Upshire, Waltham Abbey, Essex, EN9 3SS

  St Thomas
                lych gate

St Thomas noth side 

St Thomas, south side

St Thomas from south west

Search inscriptions at St Thomas Upshire

Surname:

Home MI search | Baptism search | Burial search | Record list | WFFHS