Waltham Abbey Church

Home MI search | Baptism search | Burial search | Record list | WFFHS

 

 

The Church of the Holy Cross and St. Lawrence, Waltham Abbey (Waltham Holy Cross)

Pigot's Directory, 1839: "WALTHAM ABBEY is a market town in the parish of its name (or Holycross,) and hundred of Waltham--12 miles N. from London, and the like distance S.S.E. from Hertford; situated on the banks of the river Lea, which here separates into several streams, and divides the counties of Essex and Herts."
"The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross and Saint Lawrence (and which comprises the nave only of the old abbey church), is a spacious structure in the Norman style, with a tower of later erection; it contains a Lady chapel, and several interesting monuments and memorial tablets;"

The burial registers include entries for people from the Waltham Abbey Workhouse (in the Edmonton Poor Law Union after 1837 and then closed), and deaths from an explosion at the Royal Gunpowder Mills. The churchyard was closed to further burials except for the use of family vaults from 1st January 1857, with the last burial taking place on 13th December 1856. Entries from 1857 would appear to be burials in consecrated ground at Waltham Abbey Cemetery in Sewardstone Road with the exception of some burials in family vaults in the church yard.
The following are available to search:

Inscriptions: 1555 - 1875 by William Winters, 1885
Burials: 1813 - 1878

The burial register starting in 1813 has a note at the start:
Thomas Picthall - Minister
Spencer Newman}
 John Keys           } Church wardens
 William Hasler   }


Church web site
British History entry on Waltham Abbey churches
"Our Parish Registers" by William Winters, 1885
Church location:          
Highbridge Street, Waltham Abbey, Essex, EN9 1DG

 

  Waltham Abbey Church

Search for someone listed in the burial register:

Surname:



Home MI search | Baptism search | Burial search | Record list | WFFHS